Monday, December 29, 2014

Pizza with home-made dough

Yup. Pizza! You may have leftover rotisserie chicken today (if you had Quick and Easy Chicken Burritos). So let's make pizza! I like to make my own dough so here is my recipe but you can pick up pizza dough in a tube at the grocery store (by the cinnamon rolls - because you know you know where those are. You're welcome!) and cook it according to the directions.

1 1/2 c. warm water (like hot tub warm)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
In large bowl, combine and let stand for 10 min. or until yeast is bubbly.
1/2 tsp. salt
Stir
3-4 1/2 c. flour
*Add 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl and it barely sticks to your finger.
Spray a glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl (I just move the dough around the bowl of my mixer and spray around it so I don't dirty more dishes). Cover and let rise for 45 min. or until doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. While oven is heating, punch down the dough and shape it into a disc. Pray your work surface, rolling pin and pizza stone with non-stick cooking spray. On work surface, roll and shape dough into a "circle" (because we all know that a perfect circle is nearly impossible). Transfer dough to stone and continue to shape up to the edges of the stone. Using a fork, prick SEVERAL holes in the crust. Drizzle with a little olive oil and brush it all the way to the edges. Sprinkle dough with garlic salt.
Bake for 10-12 min. or until golden. Remove and add sauce and toppings.
Return to oven and bake 10-12 more min. or until cheese is melty and crust is golden brown.

I got this dough recipe from Our Best Bites but you should also check out their Pizza 101 post because it will change your Pizza Mind (because we all have one).

So I'm pretty sure you know how to top your own pizza, but shortly after we were married I called Kaitlyn in NYC for some pizza advice. She suggested something that we love (and by we, I mean me and my significant other...the kids, well you know kids they eat the parts they like)! She suggested using sliced tomatoes, basil leaves (if you need some, come over and cut a few from the plant growing in my window sill...for heaven sakes don't go buy an expensive pack that you'll only use half of) and mozzarella. I like it because it's different and fancy.
Let's share pizza topper ideas! What you like on yours!

1 comment:

  1. Made three times since this was posted. Seriously easy and yummy! Everyone gets excited when I say I'm making pizza.

    ReplyDelete